Saturday, December 10, 2005

Fighting the lesser angels of my nature

Tomorrow morning's exhortation is on Phil 3:12-21 (or maybe just 16, still not sure). Anyhow, in one of those last second bursts of inspiration, I accidentally typed something that made me think of Cake's "The Distance." So now, as I work away on my notes about Paul's single minded pursuit of his goal, I keep thinking of using lines like

He's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse.
He's going the distance.
He's going for speed.
or
The green light flashes, the flags go up.
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.
They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank.
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
Their prowess is potent and secretly stearn.
I know I shouldn't, on so many levels, I'm fully aware I need to avoid it.

The question is, will I?

2 comments:

kletois said...

The question is will I?

Well??? did you?

Hobster said...

:) Title: The Distance, made a few references to going the distance--but since this was a racing metaphor employed by Paul, totally honest, my hands were clean.

Tho' I did let one "yearn for the cup" slip in. :)