Thursday, December 15, 2005

2005 in Review

Back in college I picked up a book by James Lileks, Notes of a Nervous Man or something. Struck me as sort of a poor man's Dave Barry (my estimation at the time). Don't get me wrong, I liked it. A shadow of Barry is still better than just about anything. Anyhow, mostly lost track of him right after that.

Stumbled on to him a time or two since online, but didn't seem to be as funny as that book. But thankfully, Not So Fast pointed me to his year in review for 2005: A 2005 Rollick. Couple of highlights:

Pope John Paul II dies. To the horror of many, his successor turns out to be Catholic.

John Bolton is nominated to be U.S. ambassador to the U.N., despite his moustache.

The 1,587th death in Iraq provokes no major display of eye-catching graphics in the Western media, as it is not a round number.

Harriet Miers is nominated for the Fairfax school board. No, wait—the Supreme Court. ...Miers’s nomination is withdrawn after it is revealed she was actually a cyborg, sent from the future by Karl Rove’s son to revitalize the conservative base. She is disassembled and put in storage.
Just a couple, the rest is well worth reading....

2 comments:

girlfriday said...

I miss the heady days of Miers bashing.

rustypth said...

i read the whole thing. it is hysterical!