Wednesday, September 23, 2009

We're Not in Kansas Anymore...

Well, the good people at the Academy wasted no time in introducing their students to that great and proud tradition of American education: Fund Raising. Ahhh, it's really official now, the kids are being schooled :)

I remember all too well the groans that my parents would emit when I'd come home from school/scouts/band ready to hawk whatever goods the fund-deprived program were asellin' (and pretty sure I heard a few of those in my living room the other day). My Dad wouldn't bring the forms into his work, fearing his subordinates would feel pressured to buy from him (other than when my sister sold Girl Scout Cookies, cuz, c'mon, who doesn't want those?)--I had no problem with him pressuring others to buy, but he did. So, I was cast out into the neighborhood to peddle my wares. This was, of course, the halycon days before Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Amber Alerts, and other expressions (inducements of) parental paranoia, so this didn't make them horrible guardians.

The one thing I remember from those days was that there was always a cheap option--for those who wanted to help some, but really didn't feel like giving me a lot of money. The brochures I'm currently flipping through have no such option. On the other hand, the pricing's very convenient--everything has the same cost. Smart move, no way can little dyslexic Suzy make a mistake on one product, and ADHD Johnny can't forget one.

There is a handy option for kids whose parents don't want them out selling things--the parent can just write a check to qualify their little darling for the basic prize level. Seemed like a great idea, until I multiplied their minimum donation by 4.

These are hard economic times, and schools don't have a lot of funds--which probably seems even more the case when the school is just getting going, lots of needs, very little to provide for them, so I certainly don't blame them for trying. I do wish the products realized that it's not just schools that are having tougher times--parents, grandparents, neighbors are, too.

By the way--if anyone wants to buy some delicious coffee beans , cookie dough (in a variety of flavors), Pizza gift certificates, flavored popcorns, or nummy nummy looking cheesecakes/other desserts--leave a comment, I'll hook you up!! :)

1 comments:

Lockheed said...

when i was a kid, i was in a private school in fla (kings academy) and we sold candy. It was GOOD candy... but i went about delivering it on my mom's three wheel bike. We lived around a lake and I decided to take a short-cut near the lake. The lake had a very steep slope and the bike, me and the candy in tins all went in the lake. My friend, Bunky, was there and ran to tell my mom what happened. He had a stutter and he said "mrs..mrs... mrs... bbbb..bbburke"

my mom yelled "BUNKY SPIT IT OUT!" and he said, perfectly well, "MICAH DROVE THE BIKE IN THE LAKE".

My mom fished me and the candy out, we wiped off the tins and I went about delivering them... on foot.