Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fall TV Season 2009 (pt. 1)

By popular demand (no, really), my take on Fall TV--in two sentences or less.

in order of appearance:


  • Glee--I can easily see myself growing bored with part of this/all of this. But 'til then, the show is as much fun as you can have on TV.

  • Supernatural--good to have the Winchester boys back in action for what very well could be (should be?) their last hurrah. The theology's horrid, but at least they take good and evil seriously (esp. evil).

  • Bones--nice little series reset there thanks to Booth's tumor. Fun to have this pair back, but time to focus on the crime's more than the will they/won't they.

  • Fringe--I thought Olivia's line from the premier summed it up well: "There really isn't a point where things just can't get weirder, is there?" Thankfully, no. Made some gutsy moves this season, hope they keep it up.

  • Community--Good to see Chevy in action again. Not the best sitcom around, but this is good for some laughs.

  • House--absolutely stunning premier, okay follow up. Am sure they will soon resort to House the cranky addict again, like they always do (alas), but 'til then, this show I'd stopped watching is better than it's been since House fired Chase.

  • Big Bang Theory--oh I missed this show far more than I realized. Funniest show on TV as long as they don't focus too much on the Penny/Leonard storyline.

  • Castle--season premier wasn't the strongest mystery, but who watches this thing for the whodunit? The interplay between Castle/Beckett was strong as ever. Michael Connelly r0x0red.

  • NCIS--how awesome is Gibbs? Tony as interrogation subject is a sure-fire winner, now just kill the Ziva-centric storyline for a while and get back to the procedural bread-and-butter stuff.

  • NCIS: Los Angeles--not quite what the original is, but it has promise. Linda Hunt's enough of a reason to stick with the thing through growing pains (see John Noble on the first half of Fringe last year)

  • The Good Wife--not sure this isn't a mini-series, but so nice to see a new show populated by nothing but seasoned vets. Julianna Margulies, Christine Baranski, Josh Charles, Matt Czuchry, Chris Noth--hopw can you go wrong? Another entry in the "better than I expected" category.

  • Modern Family--wow. Such a great pilot, a little afraid to try the next episode, can't live up to it--but how can I resist the pull? Seriously folks, find this on hulu or whatever if you missed it the first time. (not safe for the whole family) See Ken Levine's write-up on it from yesterday.

  • Cougar Town--far better, far funnier than a show with this horrible title has any right to be. Ignore the title and give it a shot (even less safe for the whole family) So good to see Busy Philipps back in action

  • The Mentalist--even Simon Baker's charm is wearing thin...'bout the only reason to watch this is to see if they return fire on all the jabs Psych's made lately at their expense. Premier was far too tedious to start off a season

  • Family Guy--what can I say? If you like the show, you'll find enjoy it. Not that sure I enjoyed the premier, honestly (great title sequence, tho)

  • Lie to Me--not sure I see the effect of a new show runner on the premier, but it's still a decent way to kill 42 minutes, and am more than willing to give the new blood a shot.


What I haven't seen yet:
The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, Numb3rs, Dollhouse, Dexter (all due to that hospitalization thing...should catch up with them this weekend or so)

What did ya'll think?

4 comments:

Lockheed said...

Bones - Not terrible but seems too artificial. The Dr. Bones character seems almost autistically inept at understanding social interactions, the inconsistencies in her character (one moment caring, the next complaining about religion) are a bit to jarring. Also the whole forensic pathologist solving crimes with FBI agent in tow seems unrealistic.

Fringe - Still stunned by the greatness of this show.

House - I cried... the only thing that could make the show better is if they killed Chase off in a very sadistic way and were somehow able to bring Cutner back.

NCIS - seriously, is the navy crime investigations units really that busy? cant understand how this one keeps plugging along.

Family Guy - Seems better in short doses than in an entire ep. I doubt the Cleavland show will survive.

DEXTER - The season opener provides lots of possibilities, not sure if the concept hasnt run out of steam.

CSI - I only watch the LV version, the others are too over-the-top for me. (Both NY and Miami require a suspension of disbelief far greater than I'm able to muster for that kind of show.) I like the changes in the cast-roles.

Eureka - I like the quirky funny-but-not-funny show, not sure I can stand an entire season.

That's about all I'm able to afford as to TV watching, looking forward to Who, IT Crowd and Being Human from "across the pond"...

Anything I'm missing that I HAVE to see?

jmw said...

Mad Men?

Hobster said...

Y'know, I tried to get into Mad Men...made it through the first two disks of the Season 1 set (or at least most of disk 2)...just didn't click with me. Feel like I'm missing out on something. May have to give it another go...

Hobster said...

Y'know, I tried to get into Mad Men...made it through the first two disks of the Season 1 set (or at least most of disk 2)...just didn't click with me. Feel like I'm missing out on something. May have to give it another go...