Friday, September 04, 2009

Not Exactly Sure How This is Supposed to Make Me Sleep Better

As I've mentioned before, I have sleep apnea, and occasionally (far to rarely, to be honest) use a CPAP machine. Ideally, this device is supposed to keep air flowing into my lungs no matter what my body wants.

In reality, this device makes a lot of noise, makes my face sweat and will frequently convince me that I'm being smothered in my sleep.

But anyway, it's something I need to use, because if I remember my 8th grade health class, breathing is a pretty important thing to do.

So now I get a recall notice from the machine's manufacturer. If I have a DC powered humidifier, I may be in jeopardy--I'm fine if it's AC powered. Somehow, this is the only appliance I have with a power chord where both the chord and the place you plug it into have no labels about amps, volts, or other words used by energy drink marketing gurus. So instead I get a grainy, black and white zerox of a photo of the back of a DC powered machine.

I think my machine matches--I may have to take a digital photo, print it on an old printer and run it through a copier for a few generations to be sure, tho. So now having determined that I probably have a DC machine, "There is a remote probability that some failures may result in thermal deformation..." Now, I'm not a technician, or an engineer, so I'm not absolutely certain, but to me "thermal deformation" sounds like "things will melt due to heat."

I'm assured that, "There have been no reported injuries or property damage as a result..." That sentence is just begging for a "yet", isn't it?

The thermal deformation will be accompanied by a "blinking blue light" on the control knob, so I'll have some warning before I become eligible to be the exception to the "no reported injuries or property damage."

Of course, the only time I use this doo-hickey, I'm asleep, and I tend to do that with my eyes closed, so I probably won't notice any blue lights, blinking or otherwise.

That is, if I ever sleep again.

2 comments:

Lockheed said...

DC usually has a big transformer box that plugs in to the wall or sits along side outside of the device, whereas AC plugs directly into the device with usually a two-pronged connector. NOT ALWAYS. ;)

Hobster said...

thanks :)

but, and maybe this is just me, it's more amusing/bemusing to talk about the pathetic help this recall was than to actually dig up "facts" and "useful things".

also, you probably have more electronic whozits and whatsits around your house than mine--how many of them don't have labels imprinted near the power plugs with volts, etc right there? It's just strange to see absolutely nothing on both the big transformer box (aha! DC...probably) on this thing and where it plugs in.