Thursday, September 10, 2009

Too Soon?

(a slightly repost from September 2006, both in honor of the anniversary tomorrow, and because I'm still trying to figure out how to manage my time now)

I Remember just before United 93 hit the theaters this spring, and then again just before World Trade Center premiered, there was this refrain of, "It's too soon." It's too soon for a movie...it's too soon for us to remember this...it's too soon for whatever.

Pfui.

Tonight my manager and I are approached by some 30+ year old woman, holding four DVDs--Friends with Money, Just My Luck, some other "chick flick," and United 93. "Have you seen any of these?" I hadn't and said so, manager had seen Just My Luck (which she called "cute") and the "other" one which she said was pretty good. Manager tells her that she's heard "Friends" was "more of a mid-life crisis movie." Customer holds up United 93, "What's this about?"

Ummmmm, I think, but manage to sound a little less sarcastic when I started, "It's about that plane on 9/11 that..." The manager cuts in, "Y'know the one that crashed in Pennsylvania." Blank stare. Me again, "the one that the passengers took over, made crash before it could hit anything." Blank stare. "The one on 9/11?"

This woman had no idea what we were talking about. It's five years later--FIVE YEARS!! She had no idea what we were talking about--thankfully she got distracted by the idea of Antonio Banderas doing ballroom dancing (oh, hey, I remembered--the other chick flick was Take the Lead) and headed off before the conversation continued (and my dismay hit critical mass).

It's not too soon. It's not too soon. It's not too soon.

0 comments: