Monday, September 07, 2009

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar?

(trans. "Oh! Was I speaking Latin again?")

Today's the traditional day around here for the last minute bursts of activity in preparation for the upcoming school year. Most of which would've been done by someone far more organized by myself (like, say, TLomL) earlier than today--but if I didn't procrastinate weeks/days ago, what would I do today? Thought I'd take a quick break and mention a resource that some of you might be interested in (am sure some of my readers have this site and others like it bookmarked, but just in case)

I was doing a bit of reading this afternoon, trying to remind myself of the benefits to the Offspring learning Latin (only Frodo will be doing a formal Latin curriculum, but the rest will be getting ready). Not that I needed the reminder, but I do need to be ready to respond to the extended family's "What, your kids aren't oddly educated enough already?" type questions. The website for the National Committee for Latin and Greek is quite the handy resource for these type of answers, along with some nifty propaganda to convince prospective students to take up the subjects.

The flyer, Harry Potter Knows Latin!, for example, is a nifty sampling of some the more common spells non-Muggles learn at Hogwarts and their Latin roots. I can't imagine it's that convincing, but it's cute.

Frankly, I find Henry Beard's books on the subject (some samples are here), to be a much greater incentive, but hey, whatever works...

0 comments: