Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Time to Shuffle the Deck...

I got this issue of Newsweek in the mail the other day, but haven't gotten around to reading the cover article. I halfway suspect one of the first criterion given a parent to determine if a baby is, in fact, a racist is "has the baby ever been critical of Barack Obama's policies?"

Jimmy Carter has joined the growing ranks of those saying that those who disagree with/protest against/don't like Obama's policies are motivated in large part by racism. I'm soooooooooo sick and tired of this, almost as tired as I am of the phrase "Race Card."

Can those throwing around this accusation grow up and stop this? I.don't.care.if.he's.black. I care that from where I'm standing, our President's economic, budgetary, medical, policies (and many others) are a direct violation of the principles this country was founded on and should continue to function under.

I agree, the guy is wicked smart. But that doesn't mean everything he says is correct. Doesn't mean that I can't find fault in his philosophies, ideas, theories, plans on their merits.

If Obama was purple, I'd disagree with him (and then check the color adjustment on my TV). If Obama was Hispanic, I'd disagree with him. If Obama was a white guy, I'd disagree with him. If he was elected on a Republican ticket, I'd disagree with him.

Tea Party protesters are clearly 100% Aryans. Not even 100% Caucasians. And those protesters "of color" aren't self-hating, sell outs either. For the pundits, elected officials and fellow blogging blowhards to just label all detractors "racist" is insulting. Before long, Godwin's Law will have a corollary about this knee-jerk response (or at least it should).

I'm sure there are elements on the fringe who will despise everything he does because of our President's ethnic background--and there are some on another fringe who will give him carte blanche to do whatever for the same reason. But that's why we have fringes--for those people to be on (that and to look cool on clothing in the minds of many people who ride motorcycles). But the rest of us do live on this little plain I like to call reality, and we'll like/dislike his policies/actions for a myriad of other reasons--many of which are principled (many others have to do with the way he acted on Leno, O'Brien, etc.)

Free your minds.

1 comments:

Hobster said...

oh good grief...yeah, I did. Thanks, bro