Sunday, May 13, 2007

Whyfore White Noise?

Last week, while I was twiddling my thumbs while fighting off insomnia-induced boredom, and started looking through the Noise archives (that's how bored I was, reading my old material...blech). In my second post, I explained the genesis of the blog's name, and a quotation from Don DeLillo which sorta explained my intent for the blog. Not sure how I've stuck to the intent (even less how I'll stick to it once things morph around here next month), but it's a nice quote from DeLillo anyway....

The name for this blog came from one of my favorite novels, Don DeLillo's White Noise. In discussing that novel, DeLillo said:
"In White Noise in particular, I tried to find a kind of radiance in dailiness. Sometimes this radiance can be almost frightening. Other times it can be almost holy or sacred.... Our sense of fear--we avoid it because we feel it so deeply, so there is an intense conflict at work.... I think it is something we all feel, something we almost never talk about, something that is almost there. I tried to relate it in White Noise to this other sense of transcendence that lies just beyond our touch. This extraordinary wonder of things is somehow related to the extraordinary dread, to the death fear we try to keep beneath the surface of our perceptions."

0 comments: