Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Shrek the Third

Took the Offspring to Shrek the Third over the weekend.What can you say, really? It's a Shrek movie. I laughed a lot, harder than the kids in many places, not as hard as them in others. I thought it was less "Kid-Blue" than the other two (jokes about bodily noises, gasses, etc.)--or maybe I'm hardened. It's not my favorite of the three, but it was a good time.

Myers was good. Diaz was decent. Loved the addition of Eric Idle to the cast, and the Dynamic Duo of Puss and Donkey stole most of the scenes--with some hefty competition from the rest of the supporting cast. Speaking of which, I think I might've been the only one in the theater to pick up on the Six-Million Dollar Man theme music in Gingy's life-passing-before-his-eyes flashback. How depressing is that?

(btw, how fitting is it that Timberlake's a cartoon?)

Best scenes of the film were the High School scenes..."I know you're busy not fitting in..."

Only suggestion for #4 from this peanut gallery--keep Shrek and Fiona together for more of the film. The characters interacted so well together in the first movie--why not let them keep at it?

the Third incidentally continues the streak of great soundtracks. My kids'll listen to them because they're Shrek, I'll listen to 'em because I like the music--great mix of older tunes, new stuff, great covers, and something by some of the stars. This one has two songs by the Eels (vetrans of the other two), some people I've never heard of, and Led Zepplin and Wings! Could've lived without Macy Gray, but anything that gets the Offspring listening to Zepplin and McCartney is a-ok in my book (it will be mere days before the Princess is singing Ah ah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ah w/Robert Plant on "Immigrant Song"). And, I can't believe I'm saying this--Fergie's track is great--dynamite cover of Heart's "Barracuda"--this is the little girl I tuned in week after week to watch Kids, Inc., not that trollop that she's marketing herself as (tho' my heart has always belonged to Martika)

0 comments: