Monday, August 08, 2005

Weekend Wrap-Up

This weekend, my lovely Mrs. and I flew up to Colville, WA for a day and a half. What? Never heard of Colville? Not surprised. We were brought up there by Emmanuel Presbyterian Church, a nice little church ministering in this nice little town. I had been asked by their pastor to come up in June, but that's when I got uber-sick, so we had to scratch that trip.

Turns out that this particular weekend was the big community festival, and the local pastor's association was apparently putting a lot of pressure on all the churches in town to cancel their services, so everyone could attend the big worship service type-thing at the festival. Emmanuel, was one of the few churches in town that didn't buckle to the ecumenical/municipal spirit. Which put me in the enviable spot as being one of the main competitors to the mush-fest's "Keynote Speaker" (not preacher, not minister, but Keynote Speaker), Frank Peretti. Not that he was quaking in his boots, if anything, he was probably a little glad that he didn't have to face the hard stare of the frozen chosen as he entertained the gathered masses. :)

But that's not important, just somewhat amusing. The service went well, SDG. Despite having me as a song leader (those poor, poor people), and me giving my first exhortation since April (so I was a bit rusty), I think it was an edifying and encouraging time for everyone. I know it was very encouraging to me, it's one thing to fill in for a minister with people who really have no choice, they're stuck with you; it's quite another to be asked to come. Had the chance to spend time with a few of the families afterward, which made for a very pleasant Lord's Day. Pretty near everyone in the congregation thanked me for coming, and more than one said they'd hoped I could come back. I hope I can.

The area around Colville was just gorgeous, it was nice to be in awe of the sheer number of trees and deer everywhere rather than the sheer number of Chevron stations like I am here. But the best I could do was a 24.0 kpbs dial-up connection while I was there, so y'know, it's a trade-off.

All in all, between the people and the environment (little better, IMHO, of small towns in the PNW)...one of the more refreshing weekends I've had in awhile.

0 comments: