Wednesday, August 24, 2005

School days, school days, Dear old golden rule days.

Am excited and a little nervous today. Both classes start tomorrow. Incidentally, I now have the 3rd best argument against distance education: a 9:30 am class there (a decent time to get underway) equals a 7:30 am class here. Especially bearing in mind that I usually get off around 2 am. Bah.

The last of my textbooks arrived today, A Preparatory Grammar to New Testament Greek by Sid Dyer. Scanned through the first few chapters and found the following under "Accent Marks."

Some grammarians emphasize the rules of accentuation. The student's time, however, is better spent on more important matters.
Wonderful. Glorious. Never saw the points of accent marks once I was taught that they were added to the NT texts, and therefore couldn't get myself to learn them last time I took at shot at Greek.

Am very excited this term to be digging into more, um, seminarial type of work. Not that I had anything against the stuff I did last you, but Philosophy and Logic don't do as much to remind me about the nature of the work as these classes do, y'know? As a reminder for the old tymers/plug for the newbies, over there under "my sem blog" is where I'm supposedly trackign my progress through Greenville Seminary for those who don't want to read all the blather about my kids, TV shows I'm addicted to (btw, am now very hooked on Battlestar Galactica), etc. Usually the posts here and there aren't variations on each other like the last few there have been. I aim to do a better job of logging stuff over there this year.

2 comments:

rustypth said...

BAttlestar Galactica is being remade? I've never seen the original =)

Regarding accent marks, I can hear Mike Porter (my instructor): "Rusty, you better learn your accents! It'll bite you in the butt later on if you DON'T memorize them! Especially when the only difference between two words in different cases are the accents!" =)

Hobster said...

well, yeah, can see where they come in handy...but oy...such a pain.