Monday, August 29, 2005

Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's close

Okay, okay, okay. I should've listened to centuri0n and Gary (who claims to never read this, but I know he checks the RSS feed to this at least thrice daily) and avoided Napoleon Dynamite. But I'd heard so many good things about it, and I'm always game for a quirky, independent comedy, so I went for it.

It was just so pointless. There were a couple of funny moments, true, but that's about all I can say for it. Oh, wait, one more positive note: LaFawnduh didn't turn out to be a guy in drag. That's it.

The movie made me yearn for the tight plot of Linklater's classic Slacker (and its comparatively well-rounded and well-developed characters). I couldn't force myself to care for the main character one wit...nor any of his less sympathetic family. Pedro was a nice guy, I could've spent a little more time with him. Deb was, um, well, she was there and had a nice smile.

I am seriously considering launching recall efforts against every single one of the Idaho legislators that voted for the resolution commending the film/filmmakers.

At this point about 95% of America has watched this film, but if you're one of the few that haven't...skip it. No, run from it.

4 comments:

tired said...

Heh, welcome to postmodern comedy, I guess.

I found it charming and clever, especially for BYU kids. I don't know why it's pressing into pop culture. The overabundance of ND kitschwear at Hot Topic tempts me to blame Fox for artifically forcing it, moreso considering no one actually buys the stuff. Maybe it's one of them high school crazes somewhere.

Disregarding adolescent mobbery, it's a cute movie to keep beside the Charlie Brown Christmas special. And yeah, Deb made it happen. :)

FX Turk said...

I
WARNED
YOU.

Dude: you can't have that 118 minutes back. You could have been breaking windows at the local Library and have spent yout time better.

Hobster said...

Cent--I know, I know, I know...next time I'm in line at Hollywood Video, I'll call you and clear the titles I'm holding before I get to the cash register.

rustypth said...

Hobs - I first saw ND at the local independent film theater. And, like you, I hated it. It was so dumb!

3 months later it hit the box office and was all the craze. I already knew the few choice lines from the movie, and was eventually dragged along to see it again in theaters. Thus far, I have seen the movie 4 times, and I don't presently hate it, but I wouldn't willfully watch the movie again.

It does have its moments, and I have to admit, those moments are pretty good. If anything, the movie is very quotable.

I'd rather watch Star Wars =)