Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sometimes Spam can be a good thing

Aeons ago, I signed up for an e-newsletter for Sixpence None The Richer. Well, I guess I did, I don't really recall doing so, but it makes sense. Ever since I heard their cover of "Bouquet" on I Predict A Clone and started harassing my local Christian Knick-Knack store for their album (which, naturally wouldn't be released for months), I've been a semi-rabid 6p fan. Taylor's right, they did get the song better than he did/could've. The Fatherless and the Widow was overplayed in my CD player. This Beautiful Mess broke my heart and made me want to dance (I limited that to the privacy of my own dorm room). I'll stop the meander there, suffice it to say that Leigh Nash probably has the most beautiful female voice I've ever heard, and I could probably listen to her sing anything with near-rapturous joy (up to, and including, sermons by Charles Finney).

ANYway, today I get this piece of Spam from that list telling me about Nash's new website and a place to listen to some demos from her upcoming solo work. Great stuff. Just spent some nice, calm minutes listening to these demos, sipping a near perfect cup of coffee (been awhile since I managed one of those). Time stopped, my blood pressure lowered to a healthy level, I relaxed, and all was well with the world. Then the four tracks were over, coffee cup empty, and whatever had captured the attention of all the kids ended too, and the Real WorldTM resumed. Sigh. Still, those few minutes probably enabled me to make it through the next day or two.

And for the record, I wasn't ignoring the kids...they were all intent on something that would probably only make sense to them.

P. S. This trip down amnesia lane caused me to stumble on this nice interview with Steve Taylor, which led me to the site for his new movie. Despite Smitty on the soundtrack and in the film, could be good, and my nigh-unto-dying allegiance to Taylor will get my butt in a theater seat. Check out the trailer.

1 comments:

Hobster said...

Surely the good folks over at Christianity Today have better things to do than this, right? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Mr. Herman's contribution...but can you imagine what your life would be like if your job entailed tracking down every blog that mentioned your company and leaving a response?