Friday, April 11, 2008

Well, I'm Officially Disqualified Now...

No Father-of-the-Year Awards for me.

True Story.

Just finished watching a youtube video of a comedy bit enacted with Legos, and since this particular video featured Star Wars Legos, it grabbed the attention of the Offspring. Sadly, the clip ended up featuring a certain expletive a couple times before it was over. Didn't want to draw undo attention to it so I just played on and we all enjoyed the bit. So much so, that the Offspring wanted to watch it again.

"Uh," I stammered, "I don't think so. Pretty sure we've had more than our daily allotment of the 'F-word.'"

Samwise shoots me a confused look, "The 'F-word'?"

For crying out loud, this isn't the convo I'd intended on...I just wanted to watch a silly Lego video. "Yeah, we've talked about this before. You know, the 'F-word'..." I get a blank stare in return. "Oh, come on! Okay, like in the video, 'This isn't the who the [bleep] are you game.'"

"Oh! [Bleep]?"

"Right."

"[Bleep] [bleep]" he was getting on a roll, and clearly enjoying it.

"Allright, you're done with that word. Next time you get to say it is when you're over 18 and living on your own."

"But I can still say it in my head, though, right?"

This is the point where if it were functioning properly, my brain would simply stop my heart and I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. Sadly, the neurons kept firing, blood kept pumping and whatnot, so we got to have a nice little conversation on appropriate words. Not a complete one, mind you, because I'd have to teach him an entire vocabulary he just doesn't posses just to get the job done properly. And yeah, I know the day is coming when he'll need to have a better grasp of it than he does now.

Hmmm, it occurs to me, when that day comes, I should have Uncle Bluewoad pitch in...am sure there's nothing like a lesson on the development of the English language to suck the fun out of cussing...

2 comments:

rosemarie said...

oh how this brings back memories... my oldest niece at the age of about 3 confused "F*** you" with "Thank you." Dressed in a lavender pinafore with lace and ribbons she stood in her chair and bid her great-grandparents, grandparents, friends and family her individual "thanks" for coming to Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks for a good laugh :)

Anonymous said...

lol!
I think most of us that have been around young children have similar stories...lets see...

when my darling son was about five, he was rhyming words to
truck...
duck...
yeah..you know the next word...
what was precious, was the look of shock on his face,
"MOM! I'm so sorry"
so precious...
God bless ya hobs,
tucsonmom