Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Doctor Is In...

Just caught the season premier of Doctor Who--loved it! Tennant scores again as the Doctor, and I didn't hate Donna this time out. Thankfully, her initial contact with the Time Lord had a positive impact on her and she's likable now. Still, I miss Martha (esp. after SciFi showed "Smith and Jones" last week), not as much as Rose, mind you. Can't wait to see the two of them again...

Best moment: when the Doctor realizes he's talking to himself while starting to explain the alien technology. Hard to feel bad for someone who can say, "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey of the constellation Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who is going to save your lives and the six billion people on the planet below. Do you have a problem with that?" But Tennant makes you do just that.

Maybe this ep was a little long on the comedy, short on the thrills. But hey, I'll take the good Doctor in any way they give it to me. I trust they'll get the balance right in the weeks to come.

For girlfriday's sake, I won't talk about the jaw-dropping bit. Can't wait to hear what she has to say about it...

4 comments:

Lockheed said...

SHE was there! HOW!?

Hobster said...

As Lister said (in a radically different context), "I dunno, but it'll be a lot of fun finding out!"

Anonymous said...

There's something about Donna...I don't like. It's hard to shake an initial impression, so I hope the writers keep moving her further away from what we experienced in Runaway Bride, otherwise this season is going to be like fingernails down a blackboard for me.
I've been advocating for some time the introduction of Sally Sparrow ("Blink") as the new companion. WHY ARE THE WRITERS NOT LISTENING TO ME! I do on a personal note want Gwen Cooper to see the stars, now that most of the Torchwood team have met an untimely end.
And as for the surprise appearance of a dear dear friend in Partners in Crime -it makes a grown man weep (I'm still feeling the loss even after a season worth of shows).


kletois

Hobster said...

Why aren't the writers listening to us, you mean. Sally Sparrow would be a great companion--far superior to Donna. I agree she has a lot to make up for from her Runaway Bride appearance (the only Christmas special I haven't re-watched, and will likely stay that way).