Monday, May 01, 2006

Pop Quiz Time

Orthodox, Heterodox, or Heresy? Why? You tell me.

Justice demands the punishment of sin. Therefore the attitude of a just God towards the sinner can only be one of wrath. But if the punishment is endured to the uttermost by One who adequately represents the sinner, justice e is satisfied and God's mercy towards the sinner can have free play. The thought is wholly Godward, and that from the assertion of which the early fathers shrank is now boldly proclaimed. By the death of Christ God's attitude towards man is actually changed. Wrath is transformed to love. Mercy is the result of Calvary, or, at least, is freed by the Cross from the necessity of enforcing the stern obligations of justice.

5 comments:

kletois said...

I say Orthodox, unless I'm missing something.

Hobster said...

Clever, clever...sadly, that book isn't on that (semi-out of date) list. I've got a stack of about a dozen books on the doctrine of the atonement/history of said doctrine for a paper. And I didn't bother to type out that whole list--nor will I since I turned that paper in yesterday :)

Worst thing I've ever written, for those keeping score at home. I'm thinking of printing an extra copy just to burn it.

rustypth said...

i'm honestly not sure.

I need to work out a couple things: (1) does supralapsarianism play into this? (specifically Robert Reymond's work on supra); and anything that relates to that I guess =)

Rust

Hobster said...

am sure one could work supra/infralapsarianism into this if you tried (could work it into pretty much anything with some effort), but pretty sure it didn't enter the author's mind at this point (nor mine 'til now)

polymathis said...

Oh, the old print-a-quote-and-get-people-nervous. As I read it without a broader context (i.e., what is man: all mankind? the elect?, etc.) it misses key componants such as the active obedience of Christ. For if one were only punished for sin but the duty was left undone, then the person punished still does not get the reward. This is only one point (what of "transforming" God's wrath? God's attituted "changed"?, etc.).

Could be Barth?

Well, I think I'm done flaming your posts Hobart :-)