Sunday, May 14, 2006

Taking the plunge

Did something today I've never done before. I delivered a sermon with less than a full manuscript--far less, mostly talking points. Dr. Carrick at GPTS (and I understand, Dr, Pipa, too) insists upon it, but is gracious to Homiletics I students, and lets us get away with more. Dabney said (paraphrasing) that preaching isn't reading. That those who read sermons, aren't preaching--no matter how well they may read. Dr. Carrick says an integral part of preaching is "thinking on your feet."

So, today, I studied up, and thought on my feet. Slightly more rambling that I would want, definitely longer than I normally go, but on the whole, not bad for a first time. With less than a minute to go, I drop the last page of notes...2 notes to go, I let it drop figuring I can wing it, and realizing that the last 2 things I had to read on that page really wouldn't be helping me...in fact, the two talking points that I thought would lead me into a self-evident conclusion, weren't going to lead me anywhere, so I just leave the paper down there, and try to come up with a conclusion on the fly. Really thinking on my feet, Dr. Carrick!

And unlike every other time I've mentioned feet in the last year or so, there wasn't intense pain involved. Just a lame-o conclusion.

How could I forget to write a conclusion? Hate just leaving ideas hanging in empty space...

Oh well, it went okay (on the whole). A few very kind people from the congregation today said it was helpful (S.D.G.!!!!) But doubt I'll be posting that audio file anywhere for download :) Can only get better, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hob,

I thought it went very well.

You had enough rhetorical devices to keep the audience (me) engaged. It was biblical and exegetical. Overall no complaints-I think there is nothing stopping you from posting the sermon online.

God was glorified in your preaching. You lifted up His high and Holy name and proclaimed the only revealed Word of God. Be not ashamed of what was said.


SDG,

Seth

Hobster said...

wow...thanks. Glory to God.

I seriously wasn't fishing for feedback (but I'll sure take it!)

Thanks for the help today, bro

rustypth said...

dude, post it. I'd love to listen.

Glad it went well. Sounds like the Lord blessed you =)

polymathis said...

I don't know what you have to read for that class and this will simply be advice worth two-cents, but I highly recommend Adams on preaching/speaking.

Unfortunately, I don't have the book names on my tongue since I am not at home...sigh. I'll try to remember. His books still challenge my preaching.

Then again I have free wireless here...
Pulpit Speech
Preaching with a Purpose

http://www.timelesstexts.com/jayadams.htm

There!

Hobster said...

For the Introduction to Homiletics course it" Lloyd-Jones Preaching & Preachers; Dabney's Evangelical Eloquence; Carrick's The Imperative of Preaching; and Borgman'sMy Heart for Thy Cause.

Adams' books are on te "recommended" reading (with about 15 others) list for the course. Should probably get around to picking them up. Thanx!