Monday, May 08, 2006

Started it for the 2nd Time

Gonna finish it, too. Good distraction from studies--and pretty good motivation to get back to work, 'cuz I sure don't want to spend too long in this thing. Here's what I want to know: How did Dan Brown ever convince someone to publish this trite, tripe-filled, self-indulgent, first draft? Much less a sequel? Angels and Demons is just...bad.

I know, I know, I'm in the minority here. H. C. Contra Mundum, etc. Or people are just going to accuse me of not liking Brown 'cuz I'm religious and therefore am against anyone who's next book is going to be full of pot-shots at Christianity. Sorry, no. I assure you, on my Lolita-loving, Tarantino-adoring, Mark Leyner-relishing, Kevin Smith fan-boy honor--this is just poor writing. Ed Wood wouldn't shoot this stuff.

I had a point when I started this...seem to have lost track of it. So pure is my hatred for this. Guess we'll just chalk this one up to a random venting and move along.

2 comments:

rustypth said...

LOL. I might get around to reading that someday

kletois said...

Bookclub discussions happen at the strangest of times. While suffering a Promax workshop (H.C knows what I mean), the topic of conversation drifted to the da Vinci Code. Some doubted the existence of Jesus, while others stated he existed but was only a man ( the church made him god in the 4th century - a glaring error by the writer of da Vinci code). It was quite an interesting time listening to what unbelievers think. Above all, the main point I derived from this time was that those in the class didn't understand why the book was so offensive - its just a piece of fiction after all. I now know that I really need to watch/read the phenomena that is the da Vinci Code.
As for Angels and Demons, apparently it is a better read than da Vinci. Though the last 10 chapters (according to classmates) is a waste of print.