Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mail Call

Don't ya love it when you forget you ordered something and it just shows up in your mailbox out of the blue? Yesterday, in addition to the platinum credit card offers (yeeeeah, right) I received the latest DVD from The Apologetics Group, Marks of a Cult: A Biblical Analysis.

As you see from the cover, apparently mathematics is cultic. As a liberal arts kind of guy, I always not-so-secretly suspected that, but it's good to have proof. Sorry Kletois, Scribbles, and Ministerius Tobeus. :)

As with their Amazing Grace: The History & Theology of Calvinism, the DVD is well made, informative, and just a tad over-produced. They don't spend quite as much time with the graphics and music--or in the uncomfortably long skits--in this DVD. The "Talking Head" experts they had were all top-notch and well used ('tho I think they could've used a little more Dr. White and a little less of a couple of others, but that's just personal preference). Well worth the time to watch--for a good primer on what is a cult, some basic teachings of some of the major cults around us, and some quick Biblical responses.

By the way, for readers in my neck of the woods: inspiration struck me about halfway through watching this yesterday (I was multi-tasking...not shirking too much on the deadline stuff) and our Bible Study voted to watch this starting next week. Giving me a few more hours as I wrap up this term. It's bite-sized enough for the kids who attend to get something out of, and meaty enough for some good discussion for the adults. We will only take 2 weeks on this one, so don't miss out!

7 comments:

rustypth said...

man, ANOTHER tempting offer. stop posting books or i'm gonna go broke

--The Rusted One

rustypth said...

and/or dvd's =)

Hobster said...

LOL...sorry, pal.

Then again, you're employed and single. I'm neither of those... :)

kletois said...

I enjoy those types of suprises in the mail too. Only last week a Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren turned up at my doorstep, I had completely forgot I had put it on hire purchase. ;-)

polymathis said...

I opened a package last week, suspecious since I did not order any books...and it was the newest installment of Bavinck...a book I ordered last October!!

--ministerus tobeus

kletois said...

h.c. theres always plenty of books you could send me so I can experience that suprise factor ;-)

Hobster said...

Pastor Polymathis: on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the highest), what priority should I set to obtaining the Bavinck set?

kletois--hit me with an amazon wishlist...never know what might happen :)