Sunday, November 12, 2006

Musings on HC's Lord's Day 1

Q1: What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A1: That I, with body and soul, both in life and in death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ, who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and redeemed me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that all things must work together for my salvation. Wherefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live unto Him.

Q2: How many things are necessary for you to know, that in this comfort you may live and die happily?
A2: Three things: First, the greatness of my sin and misery. Second, how I am redeemed from all my sins and misery. Third, how I am to be thankful to God for such redemption.
Today in Sunday School, we reviewed The Heidelberg Catechism's Lord's Day 1. Again, as I think practically every time I read those questions, really, Ursinus could've put the pen down and walked away at that point--and he'd still have done the Church much good.

Not that I'm not happy that he kept going, mind you, just don't think he needed to.

This morning, as our elder read the first question, my reflex was to object to the word "only." There are many comforts in this life (the Westminster Standards say so, so neener). Really, think about it--a nice cup of hot chocolate on a winter day, ice cold beer on a summer afternoon, blanket fresh from the dryer when you've just need to sleep, a well-timed hug from a friend, a kind word spoken in season...and that's just a handful. Those are real comforts in this life--temporary, to be sure, at best. But real. So did the boys in Heidelberg get it wrong?

Nah. First of all, for the believer--where do you think the comforts come from? They come from Christ! If not for His grace, we wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the blessings--small or large--that He gives. I could go into this big thing stealing from Doug Wilson's sermon series on Ecclesiastes. But I'll hold off on that from now.

And secondly, note that it's a comfort in death as well. That's the part that made me accept this question as valid. Granted, I haven't died yet--but a couple of times I wondered if I was in the vicinity. And no cup of hot chocolate was gonna do much for me then. There's only one comfort that will work in life and death. And that's knowing that I belong to Christ. Nothing else is any good then. The love of a good woman, hug from your first-born, that might make you feel a little better--but it won't be a comfort when the final enemy is at your door. Only the knowledge that you belong to Christ.

And what a real comfort we have in life and death! We are not our own. We have been bought. We are owned. And not by just anybody. But by our faithful Savior Jesus Christ. If it comes down to being owned, I'd rather be owned by Him than by me. For one thing, I know He'll take better care of me. Body and soul, in life and death, He owns me, He paid for me, He will take care of his own. As long as I live my faithful Savior will protect, care for, watch over my body. And He will continue to do so when I'm dead and this corpse is rotting in some grave, "being still united to Christ" (WSC 37) He will show the same care and attention He does now.

Not that such things are important to 20th and 21st century Christians; we know that the body is just a prison house of the soul. Which is why I prefer 16th and 17th century theology :) God created us body and soul, Jesus purchased both body and soul, the Spirit works in both body and soul, and we will be raised both body and soul.

Not even a hair would fall without the will of my Father! Now, in my case, that's been plenty. But our Father cares enough to plan each follicle's demise. That’s the level of attention He pays. If He goes to that level of trouble, over such inconsequential things (even though we humans obsess over it), what attention He will pay to the major things in our life! How can that not be a comfort?

Arguing from the lesser to the greater--if He's taking care of little things like my hair, He is fully capable of making sure that "indeed, that all things must work together for my salvation"! Another translation puts some additional flavor to it by rendering that line, "all things must be subservient to my salvation.” (Sidenote: varying translations of confessional standards...ugh. Another reason to go Presby, baby!) Every trial, every 'hard providence,' every up, every down, every moment of rejoicing, every moment of despair, every injustice, every just end, everything is subservient to my salvation. Everything is working for my salvation. Everything in my life. Great comfort indeed.

Answer 2's three things we are to know are so spot-on. Can't help but notice that it's not just those nasty, small-minded Puritans that reduce Christianity to propositions, either, btw. These three points are so profound, so precise, so to the point, it's a shame they've been reduced to the silly mnemonic: Guilt, Grace, and Gratitude (almost as bad as TULIP, but will spare you all that rant for now). Anything that doesn't describe the Christian life in those terms, IMHO, just isn't gonna cut it.

The question is interesting itself. We're to live and die, what? Contentedly? No. Stoically? No. Somberly? No. Grimly-Determined? No. Dourly? No. Happily. What?!?!

We're to live and die happily. That's the result of our comfort in life and death--happy living. And then happy dying. But...but...but...Calvinists are nasty and dour! Christianity is hard! (narrow path and all that) What about dying to self? Mortifying the flesh? Living a holy life? Not denying all of that. But if we really, really grasp the greatness of our sin and misery; how we have been redeemed from all of it (sola gratia!), we will be thankful--even more thankful when we see that God has directed our expression of our thankfulness. And that will all make us happy.

I'm sure not there. Why aren't I? Initial thought: 'cuz while I'm not my own, I keep trying to act like I am. Other guesses: I don't really get the greatness of my sin and misery and how I've been redeemed from them both.

4 comments:

girlfriday said...

Good stuff.

girlfriday said...

Though I do think we tend to focus on the dying and neglect the resurrecting. In the Christian life, no matter the weight of our doubt, fear and unbelief, there is no death without resurrection.

Hobster said...

too true, too true. However, I'd point out, we don't need much comfort in the resurrection. Well, believers anyway.

Been a long time since I read the HC all the way through, but pretty sure they get to that at some point.

girlfriday said...

I humbly submit the rescurrection has to be held up to us to sustain our hope. For the joy that was set before him... Death is not arbitrary. Focus on the death and despair. Focus on the promise of joy and resurrection and rejoice.