Friday, November 24, 2006

A different day...

Well, like the song says:

Life's like a road that you travel on
When there's one day here an' the next day gone
Sometimes you bend, sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind
(and sadly, I'm quoting the sad little cover by Rascal Flatts...my kids love it. Wish I could get them to see the quality of Cochrane's original)

Say what you will about yesterday--I sure have said a good deal. But, yes, Scarlett, today is anotha' day. Was back to routine--which helps. Less extra people around--which helps. The kids and I had a decent day. There were some tensions between Frodo and Sam, Sam and the Princess, the kids and me. Too many minds on the weekend, not enough on the day in front of us, etc. But on the whole a decent day.

And then.

We got in the van--and I don't know what it is about automobiles and music, but whoever thought about combining them was a frackin' genius. We're driving along listening to the Cars soundtrack--like we have everyday for weeks now--and all the sudden I notice we're all singing along--top of our lungs, throwing everything into it. Biggest, dumbest smiles on our faces. Pure joy.
Slow down, you're gonna crash,
Baby you're a-screaming it's a blast, blast, blast
Look out, you've got your blinders on
Everybody's looking for a way
To get real gone
Real gone.
Real gone.
Real gone.
Uhh.
The kind of moment you couldn't get if you planned for weeks. Wouldn't give up those few minutes for a million bucks--a million five, on the other hand....(hey! I've got student loans to pay off--don't demonize me!)

1 comments:

jmw said...

Hang in there.