Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Something I just don't get...

Why do grown-ups care about their birthdays? Seriously, I'd like someone to explain it to me.

Now, I get kids going crazy about the day.

  1. They get toys/etc.
  2. They get cake
  3. They get to be center of attention
  4. Age is pretty much the primary way that people categorize them (like "What do you do for a living?" becomes in your 20's and beyond)
But once you get to, say, 12/13? What's the big deal? There are a couple of ages that are significant, sure. Get to drive--that's a big one. Get to vote/get drafted--like anyone really cares about either any more. And, of course, 21...when you magically become more responsible overnight. But even then--it's the age, not the day.

Yet adults all around me go googily over that day. Most have to make sure everybody knows it's their birthday, just compulsively mentioning it. They'll take the day off work. Buy something for themselves. Get a free meal/dessert at a restaurant. Whatever.

But come on...you're an adult. You can have cake whenever you want to. You can buy trinkets for yourself anytime you go to Wal*Mart. You're supposed to understand that being the center of attention isn't something to shoot for. Seriously, "Oh, everyone celebrate the fact I was born X years ago...make a big deal out of it, because dang it, I'm something to rejoice about."

Don't get me wrong--I'm all for marking anniversaries of accomplishments--marriages, time of service, etc. But your own birth? Seems a bit narcissistic to me. Grow up already.

10 comments:

kletois said...

Grownups care for their birthday?

Are you kidding?

Last BDay I didn't remember it was my 'special' day until 2pm.

polymathis said...

Your just an ol' party pooper!

Hobster said...

well, yeah. Am sure that's part of it.

rustypth said...

As your Birthday present to ME this year, just don't say this to me on or before my special day =)

No, but seriously, I think of it as a good excuse for a celebration. At least in my experience with family and friends, birthday celebrations allow for an expression of thankfulness towards the one having the birthday. Anywho, I don't see it as a big deal either way

Rustyrust

Hobster said...

Note to self: find out when Rusty's B-Day is...schedule an email delivery :)

girlfriday said...

Grouchy much?

Anonymous said...

How old are you Hob?
I thought it may be your way of celebrating your "special" day!

By the way, I love birthday's, mine or anyone else. So, if anyone is feeling like they need some extra "make you feel special" on your day, even if you are an adult, let me know!!

Hobster said...

This really had very little to do with my birthday (and thanks, dear, for announcing that date I keep off the record--really appreciate that)...it started percolating in my mind a few weeks ago honestly. Hadn't posted anything in a couple of days, and that came to mind.

probably should've held off on it for a week or two tho.

Regardless, can't help but notice that nobody actually offered the explanation I looked for. Rusty came close. Klet's as clueless as I am. Everyone else pretty much missed the point.

Anonymous said...

Sticking with your point...
We all really love our birthdays because it is one time during the year that we can get what we want and not feel bad because a little one needs shoes!!

rustypth said...

*clears throat*

"Thiiiiiiiiiiiis is your birthday song, it isn't very long, OLAY!!!!!!"

=)