Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fringe Benefit: RV

The other day I'm watching a commercial for the movie "The Night Listener," and was trying to remember when it was that Robin Williams made the jump from funny guy who occasionally makes a sappy film to convince everyone he can act to focusing on films about psycho serial killers and related freaks. I honestly couldn't remember what the last funny movie I saw with him.

So last night when I saw RV on the "Pre-Street" pile for employees to rent, I figured I'd give it a shot. Williams, Cheryl Hines...directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. Has to be funny, right?

Wrong.

Very wrong.

Sure, there were a couple of moments that I found amusing. But overall? Sorry, National Lampoon's Vacation 4 RV just didn't get the job done.

Hines did the best she could with what she was given. Jeff Daniels and Kristin Chenoweth did an admirable job as Randy Quaid and Miriam Flynn (should note in passing that it was an overall positive portrayal of homeschoolers/homeschool kids). Williams was a little off his game, but it all can't be put on him. Bad script. Predictable and dumb plot. Just fell flat.

We've seen it all before and performed better. Save your $$ and go for something else. (just don't tell my Store Director I told you that)

1 comments:

rustypth said...

thanks for the heads up. I'm a big Robin Williams fan, so I woulda seen this at some point.