Thursday, July 06, 2006

Summer Reading: Trunk Music by Michael Connelly

I'm not exactly sure how this happened, but Michael Connelly has become my go-to guy for airplane reading. I'm guessing the way he writes keeps me distracted from what's going on around me (y'know the whole hurtling through the air at hundreds of miles an hour and way too many feet off the ground). I picked up the next two Harry Bosch novels on my list to read to and from GA. I took care of most of Trunk Music by the time we hit Denver--and was able to finish the rest along the way to Chicago.

This was a really good read. Harry's well, Harry. Tough, smart, cynical. His partner, Jerry Edgar, is back and more competent than before. Kizmin Rider is the new teammate--I like her a lot. The new lieutenant, Grace Billets adds a different dynamic to the series--I was tired of the antagonism between Harry and Lt. Pounds.

Of course, Internal Affairs gets in the middle of this--Harry's in hot water with them again. When isn't he? I get that this is a sure-fire way to add drama, but puh-leez, can we please get through a novel without these jokers getting involved?

Given recent discussion over at spensneak about Parker's penchant for bringing characters back time and time again, I thought that one of the strong points of this book was the way that one particular character was brought back into Harry's life. The same person, in a very different set of circumstances, and very clearly changed due to their previous encounter. Handled very well.

The action keeps hopping back and forth between LA and Vegas, with our intrepid detective in the center of it. Rider and Edgar do their share of the work, too. Probably see more good police work out of them than I remember from anyone else Harry worked with up to this point. Hope to see more examples of other good cops in the future.

The twists and turns are delivered well. After you read a few books by Connelly and you know he's going to be pulling fast ones on you, changing the what you're sure is the inevitable conclusion several times--but even knowing that, you can't help but be thrown by them the way he does it. The action scenes play out well, vividly described, but not overburdening in detail.

Ending was quite satisfactory--a very subtle move for ol' Harry. Good to see him do it.

This is the kind of book that Dan brown needs to study before he inflicts another dose of Langdon upon us all.

0 comments: