Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Summer Reading: Angels Flight by Michael Connelly

Okay, Midway to Denver--hoped I could make it. Had a bunch of time in the airport before my flight, but I tried to do sermon prep and fuss with papers, so I don't finish it too early into the trip. Was really looking forward to this one. I wasn't disappointed at all.

In retrospect, I'm not certain this is the best of the Harry Bosch series--but as I read it, I was convinced it was--maybe not the best written, but most effective of the batch to this point. This particular L.A. murder is committed and investigated with the OJ trial and Rodney King case in the back of everyone's mind. The city was portrayed as a tinderbox waiting to burst into flames again--black officers and detectives were used as a PR tool, white/black and in between showed their prejudices, and every character in the book waited for the other shoe to fall--it wasn't a case of if there'd be another riot, just when.

There's a few other aspects I'd like to touch on--and have got 3 or 4 paragraphs waiting to go, but I can't write them without spoilers. This is one to read, folks.

Since I mentioned it below he dealt well with bringing back another character from the previous Bosch novel. An FBI agent that Harry'd clashed with is brought back to work the case with him--Harry now sees him as an ally (and vice versa) and the two quickly work together, allowing Harry to do exactly what needs to be done. Good to see him not fight with every single law enforcement type outside of his circle. Hope that's a trend that continues.

Oh, and the references to the book/movie Blood Work were probably the funniest things I've read from Connelly (not a lot to compare it to--dude's no Parker/early Crais)...a touch heavy handed the 2nd time, but well done.

0 comments: