Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Summer Reading: Getting the Gospel Right by Cornelis P. Venema

I've been waiting for Dr. Venema's book on the New Perspective for quite some time, and was quite excited to see Getting the Gospel Right in the latest BoT flyer--and my wife could probably testify to my outraged yell when I saw the page count. "This is what we've been waiting for?!?!" 112 pages? Bah.

But at GA, Dr. Venema spoke during the MARS luncheon (very tasty, btw) and said two things that made me feel better about the book. 1. They'd brought some for commissioners to purchase at half-price and 2. This book was sort of a teaser for a longer, less popularly written work to come out in the fall. Yay! So I picked up a copy :) I wouldn't let myself spend any more money on the way home for another novel, so I kept this out of the suitcase so I could finish up the trip with it--figured a popular-level book based on material I've read would be just the thing for 10 pm after a long day of sitting in airports/flying--and it was.

As I said, the material in the book is based on articles that Dr. Venema had written previously (which I found very helpful) and you can probably get the heart of it in the lectures he delivered at Denver's Providence OPC last year (go listen!)

That said--good book. Carefully written and crystal clear in its presentation--both positively and negatively. A great place to start. Or if you've already started, and then let yourself get stale on some of the issues, good way to kick start the ol' gray matter.

5 comments:

polymathis said...

And, with no bias whatsoever, there is a written summary of NPP here:

http://www.denverprovidence.org/html/npp_summary.html

There is also a link to online articles on NPP as well.

polymathis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hobster said...

check it out! Repetition for emphasis...how Hebraic

polymathis said...

That's me, an old Rabbi !

Hobster said...

y'know, now that you deleted that duplicate comment, what we said afterwards doesn't make much sense.