Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Too Many Cooks by Rex Stout

The fifth volume in the Archie Goodwin/Nero Wolfe series, Too Many Cooks, is probably the most controversial, and (no probably necessary) one of the more entertaining and unusual entries in the Corpus. One of the eccentricities that Nero Wolfe spent so much time and energy cultivating is his rule about not leaving the house on business, yet this is the third novel to feature him outside his beloved brownstone. Yes, this time, it didn't start out as a business trip, but still...

The story opens with Wolfe boarding--sacré bleu!--a train, bound for West Virginia where he will be the guest of honor at the meeting of Les Quinze Maîtres (The Fifteen Masters--a group of the world's greatest chefs), being held at the Kanawha Spa resort. Of course, when we have a P.I. on vacation, someone must be murdered (what I call (Jessica) Fletcher's Law). Wolfe does what he does best here, turn the crime and the uncovering of the villain/villains to his profit--this time, not for money, tho--something far more important, a recipe.

As this book takes place 14 hours (by train) away from Wolfe's home, there's obviously not a lot here that further establishes the recurring elements in the series, with one exception. This is the first time we meet Marko Vukcic, Wolfe's oldest friend and one of the two men who call him "Nero." Marko is the owner of Rusterman's, a restaurant that will be featured throughout the long run of the series, and a place I'd love to eat at a time or two. Wolfe will talk to, and interact with, Marko in a way he will not do with anyone else--seeing him like this is quite the change.

Earlier I called this one of the more controversial novels in the Corpus, that is simply because of the language used to describe the African American employees of the resort--and a few others of various ethnic backgrounds. Deplorable language that would not be tolerated today, period. Even Archie uses it! Wolfe, of course, does not, and because of his civility and ability to treat the staff with dignity (and even with a nice little speech about equity) he's able to win them over and get them to divulge information they kept from the authorities. Many are shocked and/or bothered by Stout's use of ethnic pejoratives and have called for the publisher to edit this volume for future editions. Such a ridiculous notion, that. I would encourage you to read Barbara D'Amato's blogpost about 'satiable curtiosity in that regard.

As far as notable quotations from this one, I don't have a large crop. I have two quotes from Archie, which while not getting into specifics, describe a woman in such a way that the reader can A. come up with their own mental image of her and B. absolutely understand why pretty much every male in the book will fall under her spell. The third quotation is Wolfe defending himself from the charge that he doesn't like women (he is often accused, wrongly, by readers/critics/characters of antipathy towards the fairer sex), in a way that illustrates his character wonderfully.

...just as I flipped my [cigarette] butt through the crack between the train and the platform, I could have picked a star right there--or at least touched one. She passed by close enough for me to get a faint whiff of something that might have come from a perfume bottle but seemed only natural under the circumstances, and while her facial effect might have been technicolor, it too gave you the impression that it was intended that way from the outset and needed no alterations. The one glance I got was enough to show that she was no factory job, but hand-made throughout. . . . I muttered to myself, "My heart was all I had and now that's gone, I should have put my bloody blinders on," [and] shrugged with assumed indifference...

She had removed her wrap but her hat was still on, and the odor, faint and fascinating, was the same as when she had passed me on the station platform. I had a chance now to observe that she was as young as love's dream, and her eyes looked dark purple in that light, and her lips told you that she was a natural but reserved smiler. Wolfe gave her a swift astonished glance...

[Wolfe speaking] Not like women? They are astounding and successful animals. For reasons of convenience, I merely preserve an appearance of immunity which I developed some years ago under the pressure of necessity.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always tell newbies to the Wolfe books that Too Many Cooks should NOT be the first one they read. Those ethnic comments are a shock, and I could understand how anyone not familiar with the entire series would probably not bother reading a second one. But Cooks is indeed a fine story, once you get past the language in question.