Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Red Box by Rex Stout

this is my best attempt at recreating what was lost earlier, I had a hard enough time finishing this the first time, my heart's just not into making this pretty. Just going for done.

Ugh, I thought it was bad when I was a book behind by Week 3 of this little project* , and now I'm two behind in Week 6? Not pretty...so I'd better hurry up and talk about The Red Box, the fourth novel in the Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin series by Rex Stout.

Thanks to a nice piece of trickery, Wolfe is dragged out of his office(!!!) to investigate a murder at a fashion show. A poisoned box of chocolate ended up in the wrong hands and stomach, cyanide in an almond candy, of course. Before he can figure out who's responsible, Wolfe first has to determine who the target was. And he has to move fast, because there's a whole lot of cyanide being tossed around and the bodies are going to start piling up.

I had a blast reading this one, I apparently hadn't picked this one up in ages, but I don't think I'll make that mistake again. Now, I'm having a hard time writing this one up because there's nothing remarkable about this one, unlike the previous installments--yes, the methodology is creative, the motivation is novel--but that's par for the course. There are no new features to the corpus (well, a minor one, but it's nothing unique to Stout), the regular cast of characters are pretty well set (had some good scenes with Saul and the gang). This is exactly what one is supposed to get out of a Wolfe novel.

This novel does introduce us to another feature common to Wolfe stories, 'tho Archie seems to make a bigger deal of it here than later--it must have worked well enough for Stout to decide to use it again and again. As Archie put it it

that case was just one damned client after another
The client that dragged Wolfe into the case ended up trying to fire him, and then eventually did; which was okay, because a richer client wanted in on it; but that wasn't the end of it. This did serve to move the plot along, and provide a few humorous moments, but that's about it.

There were several great lines--those that had me rolling or were particularly insightful, but as I looked them over, I realized they all need too much context (up to a page or two) to appreciate/understand, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow or so for some samples of Archie the wordsmith. A lot of good back and forth between Archie and Wolfe, Archie and the clients/witnesses/cops/basically everyone, Wolfe and Cramer, and so on.


* and now that I've publicly announced I'm undertaking a project/doing a series here, I'll make it one more entry before crashing and burning. Curses! Foiled again!

0 comments: