Thursday, February 04, 2010

"do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done."

Have you seen the story about AC/DC's Brian Johnson criticizing Bono's charity work? I've stumbled across a few versions of it in the last couple of hours--like this one.

the outspoken singer said he and his Grammy-winning band prefer to help in private with no press conferences.

"I do it myself, I don't tell everybody I'm doing it," Johnson said.

"I don't tell everybody they should give money - they can't afford it.

"When I was a working man I didn't want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa.

"I'm sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry."
This attitude goes back to LiveAid back in the 80's, which AC/DC didn't take part in.
"Bob Geldof is a canny lad. He did what he thought was right at the time but it didn't work," he said. "The money didn't go to poor people. It makes me mad when people try to use politics or charity for publicity.

"Do a charity gig, fair enough, but not on worldwide television."
It's a good point he's making, 'tho it's not original to him, for example, I remember someone making it 2000 years ago. Now, I know this will get forgotten in a couple of weeks (at best), and the next time Bono or whoever does a big nationwide/international TV charity event this won't even get a second thought, and we'll have more lauds given to people wealthier than Midas because they're telling us how we need to give and give and give.

0 comments: