Monday, June 26, 2006

GA: The Rest of the Weekend

(links in this post open in new windows...I try to do that generally, but normally fail...didn't here)

Well, as you can see from the report on the OPC site, we didn't finish things up with the justification report--I'll hold off on further comments on that 'til we're done. Again, the report shows the details of the elections and money numbers we saw the rest of Saturday.

Yesterday, I had a very pleasant morning worshipping at a local congregation. Good sermon--reformed preaching always sounds better with a Scottish accent (right Lucy?)--after the service the associate general secretary of our Home Missions Committee (and moderator of GA) spoke about Home Missions--quite encouraging, and then we were treated to a very nice church dinner. It's mostly personal preference, but wow...was so nice to see everyone--men, women, children, teens--dressed for church. Ties (mostly with jackets--and I'm including the young), nice dresses, no jeans, no shorts, no sandals. I know that makes me a narrow, mean, curmudgeon. I'm fine with that.

Then in the evening there was a joint communion service with the six OPC congregations in the area and the commissioners--don't know the number of people there, but pretty sure I've never been in a congregation that large. Great service (tho' the organ was a touch too loud) and a fantastic sermon by Pastor Bill Shishko: Biblical High Churchmanship. I highly recommend listening to it. In fact, for those readers of this blog who happen to be members of my church, while I cannot compel you to listen to it, consider yourself strongly urged by one of those who keeps watch over your soul to do so. Urged not only to listen, but to pray about it, meditate upon it, and consider how it applies to our congregation--and then get back to me (and the rest of the session) with how we might apply what was said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened. I think our church would do well by more applying the principles he spoke of.

Hobster said...

Travelin'--I'm open to suggestions :) you know the email...

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to it again, so I can gather thoughts.
:)