Friday, September 16, 2005

Something I've Never Done Before

Since about 16 minutes (or less) into the commercial-free pilot, I've been a huge Alias addict. Shameful, I know. But the way they tell a story--no matter how wacky the story is--is just enjoyable. Yet somehow--don't ask me how--I've never seen a season-finale of the show. Don't think I've missed more than one or two other episodes, but every season-finale. Until now.

Over the summer, I've found a minute or two here or there to catch up on the last few episodes of the season, and took a study break this afternoon to watch the Season Four finale.

Just like the others, so I surmise by filling in the dots from other episodes and things here and there online, it wraps up most of the season's storylines, has a significant character death or two, and leaves you saying "WHAT?!!?! NO! Just five more minutes!" When the closing credits start.

It hasn't been exactly easy this summer to not accidentally stumble across details about the finale. No matter how hard I tried, couldn't escape rumors about Michael Vartan's exit from the show...and those rumors inevitably contained phrases like "car wreck" and/or "double agent." Okay, fine. So I know something's up with Vaughn--and nobody who's hung around the Bristow family for any amount of time could imagine that he'd be unscathed by all the deception and crossed alliances and whatnot. And being Syd's fiance doesn't exactly guarantee you a decent life expectancy.

Even if knowing something about that, it didn't ruin the show for me--Jack was great--punching Sloane (should be a recurring motif for every episode next season) and the little torture scene were great ways to remind us he's not just a suit. Irina popping Elena was nice--few deserved it on this show more (other than Sloane). 'Course that doesn't mean she won't be back next year. The Syd/Nadia fight was only ho-hum--and I'm all for family values, but c'mon Arvin! Bullet in the brain. Nadia needed to die (1. Couldn't trust that one shot to free up Syd enough to get the job done, and 2. DUDE she's a boring character), just not sure I can get through all the distraught sister stuff next year, while they try to save her. Best moment was when Marshall called his wife, runner-up, the conversation right before that when Marshall and Weiss talk about being left of all the safety measures being given the President, etc.

But I still remember "double agent" and "car wreck" when we enter the denouement, and I know we'll get both of them. But this is how good the show is: I was so caught up in Vaughn's confession that I was surprised when the car was hit and yelled, "WHAT?"

So, come Sept. 29, I'll be back. Syd's preggers, we get the new agent on the block, we get to find out what rumor about Vartan's employment was right...and we get to have a few Rambaldi-free episodes (but I doubt that we've heard the last of that guy). Should be a great ride.

0 comments: