Saturday, September 10, 2005

Looking for some recommendations

Moving this back up to the top, so I can get some more (well, any) ideas...

Started reading to my kids daily a few weeks ago--it's not like I was horribly delinquent or anything, we read together individually frequently, and corporately during family worship. But now we've gotten in the habit of me reading to all of them after lunch every day. Pretty sure if I stopped there'd be some sort of revolt.

So here's my problem, we've been working through the Chronicles of Narnia--and in a few weeks here, we'll be done. And I have no idea where to go next. I have a few ideas, but think they require a few more circles 'round the sun for all concerned. So, speak up folks, click that "Comment(s)" link below and give me some ideas for what would appeal to the 3-7 year range (probably weighted towards the 6-7 range, but interesting enough to keep the 3 yr old's attention)

Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

girlfriday said...

How about Watership Down? Or the Redwall series. (Redwall is mediocre, but the younger boys seem to like them.)

I have friends whose kids read A Series of Unfortunate Events, but not sure if they're suitable.

Sandy R. suggests the Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne.

Hobster said...

So the trick is, get new readers, and you'll get answers :)

Thanks for the good suggestions--Sharing Patrick's view of Leithart, I'd stayed away, but will give it a go.

Katy, I should've thought of at least seeing how age-appropriate Redwall would be. As a child Watership Down put me to sleep faster than NyQuil, never actually finished it. Not sure if I can subject my kin to that.

Will check into the Magic Tree House books and the Series of Unfortunate Events (blocking all Jim Carrey images).

(just kidding, loyal long-term readers) :)

rustypth said...

well someone had to suggest Star Wars stuff didn't they? =). You knew it had to be me ...

For young readers: http://theforce.net/books/reviews/br_young.asp

Novels: http://theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.asp

Have you considered Lord of the Rings?

Lemme know wut you come up with