Monday, September 19, 2005

Praying for Holiness

doubt I have much new or profound to say here, but anyway...

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:9-10
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,
Can't help but be struck at how much Paul talks about the day of Jesus Christ here--outside of date-setting, etc., how prominent is the thought of that day in sermons, books, etc.?

But what reallly caught my eye this morning was that even tho' Paul was sure or confident that God will finish the good work he started in the Philippians, he prayed for it. He prayed that they would love more, so they'd be pure and blameless. So they'd be holy. We pray for others to be saved, or to be healed, or to be safe and cared for. But how often do we pray that God would make someone holy? "Oh Lord, please sanctify Jim" or "Father, make Susie holy." I'm not saying that travel mercies, new jobs, positive medical results, and the rest aren't important. But isn't living unto righteousness more important?

I've heard many take Robert Murray M'Cheyne's prayer for themselves, "Lord make me as holy as a pardoned sinner can be." Wouldn't a great part of being that holy come out in us praying, "Lord make Bill, Mary and James as holy as pardoned sinners can be, too"?

1 comments:

girlfriday said...

Always the heart of a preacher, Hob.

Yes, I think you do have something to offer. Praying for holiness for someone is...not high on radar I presume. Not mine anyway. Though I suppose (when I can get it together enough to pray at all) prayers like "strengthen them with all might according to your power" or "may they grow in love and knowledge of Jesus Christ" is a kind of prayer for holiness.