Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Best Cult Films...

Well, the Crusty Curmudgeon's posted another list, so of course I have to put up my version of it. This time it's coming from Entertainment Weekly's list of the 61 Top 50 Cult Films (don't ask me, I just pass it along). I've emboldended the one's I've seen...

  1. This Is Spinal Tap
  2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  3. Freaks
  4. Harold And Maude--disturbing movie. Really good, but disturbing. Loved the kid's car!
  5. Pink Flamingos
  6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  7. Repo Man
  8. Scarface
  9. Blade Runner--Ridley Scott's best. Maybe Harrison Ford's best. Definately Sean Young and Darryl Hannah's best.
  10. The Shawshank Redemption--good film.
  11. Five Deadly Venoms
  12. Plan 9 From Outer Space--oh the humanity!!
  13. Brazil
  14. Eraserhead
  15. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
  16. The Warriors
  17. Dazed And Confused--how this made the list without any others of Linklater's, I don't know. But this was a great one.
  18. Hard-Boiled
  19. Evil Dead II
  20. The Mack
  21. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure--only remember the dance scene in the biker bar. Never really got into this character
  22. Un Chien Andalou--saw this in my film class, just what you'd expect to see out of a film made by Dali. That razor cutting the eye thing gave me some major willies
  23. Akira--not bad...the best anime I've ever seen (which isn't saying much)
  24. The Toxic Avenger
  25. Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
  26. Stranger Than Paradise
  27. Dawn Of The Dead
  28. The Wiz
  29. Clerks--just got the 10th anniversary edition of this on DVD, can't wait to watch it. Don't know how many times I've seen this thing (2 times in the theater, which in college was a huuuge extravagance)
  30. The Harder They Come
  31. Slap Shot
  32. Re-Animator
  33. Grey Gardens
  34. The Big Lebowski--the Coen Brothers worst. Still insanely great in some areas.
  35. Withnail and I
  36. Showgirls
  37. A Bucket Of Bood
  38. They Live
  39. The Best Of Everything
  40. Barbarella
  41. Heathers--can't believe I haven't seen this yet.
  42. Rushmore--this was great, this was really, really great.
  43. The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension
  44. Love Streams
  45. Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story
  46. Aguirre, The Wrath of God
  47. Walking And Talking Nicole Holofcener
  48. The Decline Of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years
  49. Friday
  50. Faces of Death, Vol. 1--Vol 1, Vol3, Vol 4, Vol 5 (the last two were really, really stupid--saw a midnight showing of one of those, fell asleep in the theater)
  51. Monty Python and the Holy Grail--just waiting 'til my boys are old enough to watch this with me. Can't wait 'til they start annoying their mother by quoting it.
  52. A Clockwork Orange
  53. Mommie Dearest
  54. The Princess Bride--loved the movie, loved the book even more.
  55. Swingers--this movie was so money, baby!
  56. UHF--Weird Al, Victoria Jackson, that Michael Richards guy...who could ask for more?
  57. Valley of the Dolls
  58. Fight Club--Nietzsche on film. The first 15 minutes absolutely blew me away...rest was okay.
  59. Dead Alive (aka Braindead)
  60. Better Off Dead--loved this movie, watch it whenever I find it on cable--don't care at what point I come in on it, have to watch the rest.
  61. Donnie Darko
19/61. Must admit I expected a higher number.

0 comments: