Thursday, October 28, 2004

Tipping the Cap

Okay, okay, he may be personally responsible for the bringing the greatest amount of shame on the Yankees in recent history. But Curt Schilling's taking his moments in the sun to say some really great things.

First, after he punished the Yankees (on an ankle that shouldn't have been doing anything) he said,

Seven years ago, I became a Christian, and tonight God did something amazing for me. I prayed as hard as I could. I didn't pray to get a win or to make great pitches. I just prayed for the strength to go out there and compete. He gave me that. I tried to be as tough as I could and do it my way in Game 1, and I think we all saw how that turned out. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do this alone. So I prayed as hard as I could.
So he has a better doctrine of vocation than most--I really appreciated "I just prayed for the strength to go out there and compete," not "to get a win."

And then this morning, reportedly:
Curt Schilling just ended his interview with Charlie Gibson by saying: "Tell everyone to vote, vote for Bush." You should have seen the look on Gibson's face. It was priceless.
Now that I've been gracious to him, I can go back to waiting for the Yankees to not give him this chance next year.

0 comments: