Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Little slice of history

On October 28, 1975, Harry Reasoner told his nationwide audience:

The news today was as usual full of politicians and other movers and shakers, but the odds are overwhelming that when historians look at the bright blue late October of 1975 the only thing they will keep about the 27th is that is was the day Rex Stout died and the 28th was the day the death was reported. Rex Stout was a lot of things during his eighty-eight years, but the main thing he was was the writer of forty-six mystery novels about Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. A lot of more pretentious writers have less claim on our culture and our allegiance.

from Rex Stout: A Biography by John McAleer

One day, I'll try to write up exactly what impact Stout has/has/will have on me. But for now, I'll just leave it at that this. Tho' I didn't know it that October when I was three, it was one of the saddest days in history.

0 comments: