Sunday, April 25, 2004

Theological editing...

It was a strange morning at church today. My tongue and my brain didn't do a wonderful job of synchronizing. Example, I announed, "The Pulpit Committee with be meeting after the morning service this evening."

Anyhow, we're singing "And Can it Be" before the reading of the Law...and it hits me that I haven't thought of anything to say before then. Out of the corner of my eye I see the notation "Alt. 1990" and presto I have my meditation on the Law. It went a little something like this:

Wesley has this nice blessing of having a team of editors looking over everything you say and write to edit it for posterity? "I think this is orthodox, but I'm not sure....I'll just whip it out and let the editors take care of it....." But we don't get that with our words. Moreso, we don't get it for our actions. Thankfully we have some really clear instructions...for example, Romans 12:9-21.

0 comments: