Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Not used to this

Just watched tonight's Smallville. Very cool. Reeve gets to act a bit more than he did last time (and there'll surely be further appearances, too). I didn't notice that tweaked Superman theme music in the background this time, 'tho--but it wouldn't have been appropriate.

Maybe it's easier to see from the point of view of the audience, or maybe I'm just smarter than Clark, but I think it's pretty clear that the deal that Bo, er, I mean Jonathan, made with Jor-El isn't just about doing his bidding, there's some sort of "body sharing" going on there. A little less Jonathan every day, and a little more Jor-El.

But in the end, I was left feeling uncertain about what I'd actually just seen. I'm used to Smallville being tied up in night little bows at the end of the 60, or a clear ending in sight following a "To be continued..." Not tonight. I'm used to this feeling with Alias--heck, I expect it with Alias. But Smallville? Not expected. But very appreciated.

One other quick note, again, the best televised fictional exploration of the true nature/character of Fatherhood (and several bad ones)--on a show about Superman as a kid...whodathunkit?

0 comments: