Wednesday, March 31, 2004

The Few, the Proud, the Re-Readable

There are a few select authors that I can say that I've read everything they've written (or at least published). As of last week, Robert Crais just joined the likes of Douglas Adams, Christopher Buckley, Aaron Elkins, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Robert Crais started off writing cool, Robert B. Parker-ish detective novels. Lots of action, lots of wise cracks, deadly & enigmatic sidekick, etc. Unlike Parker, over time Crais didn't get lighter on the action and drama--'tho the wise cracks did become scarce (but in a fitting way due to the subject matter). The plots became more intricate, the characters better... I'm a little worried that the last two Elvis Cole novels have been a bit too serious, a bit too intense--I can't help but think of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro series (which isn't bad, just not where the series was originally headed, I thought). That doesn't mean that I don't have every intention of running down to a bookstore the instant the next book, The Forgotten Man comes out in August (*cough*birthdaygiftidea*cough*).

His two stand-alone novels, Demoltion Angel and Hostage (which I've talked about here before), both blew me away, particularly the former. Good to see that he's not a one-trick pony--even if that one trick is particularly great.

And so far, he stands up to a re-reading. What more could anyone ask for?

0 comments: