Thursday, January 20, 2011

So I'm Done with Elevators for a While Now - Updated

Update: TLomL pointed out that in the initial posting, I neglected to mention the name of the movie I was talking about. Which is a pretty dumb thing to overlook. Thanks for the catch, dear.

One guy on screen for 95 minutes, in one set, only interacting with other actors over brief cell phone calls doesn't sound like the most interesting, never mind exciting, movie. This fails to take into account a few things:

  1. The actor is Ryan Reynolds, a man who can be comfortable in any genre
  2. The action takes place in Iraq
  3. The set is a buried coffin
All that together results in Buried--one of the most taut, suspenseful, and pulse-pounding movies I've ever seen, and one of the best I've seen in months.

In case you aren't familiar with the movie or trailer or anything, the premise is pretty simple. Reynolds plays Paul Conroy, a contractor in Iraq, a truck driver transporting materials for rebuilding efforts. A convoy he's in is attacked and he wakes up in a coffin underground, with a Zippo and a cell phone left by the attackers (with a less than full battery, it should be noted). Paul starts making calls, trying to get someone to believe what's happening to him, desperate for someone to come looking for him.

And well, things go on from there. Not much else to say without giving the whole thing away. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time, I squirmed a couple of times, chuckled once or twice, had to remind myself to breathe occasionally and hoped I'd taken my blood pressure meds more than once.

Can't say I recommend it, because I really wouldn't wish any of my readers the distress they may feel watching it, but sheee--oot. What a movie.

Oh, and before I forget...honey, if I die in the next month or so, please cremate me. Please. Or a nice pyre. Anything but a coffin.

0 comments: