Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Yo Joe!

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra: I really shouldn't have delayed watching this as long as I did -- thankfully, I got a free redbox rental today, and didn't know what else to do with it, usually, I end up renting something I regret, not this time.

I had I don't know how many G. I. Joe action figures as a kid--I loved the Marvel comics, and probably watched every episode of the animated series 5+ times (at least). In other words, I was the target demo for this movie: had the nostalgia thing going for me and I have three sons who are of the toy buying age.

However, this was not a movie for the G. I. Joe I knew and loved--last year's animated G. I. Joe: Resolute was that flick (and it's a cryin' shame it didn't get the promotional push this one did).

That said, this was one fun flick. In many ways, this was a sequel to the '07 Transformers movie -- you take the basic premise of an 80's cartoon/toy franchise, surround that kernel with an outrageous story and F/X that defy belief, and infuse the whole thing with a sense of fun. This was obviously not intended to be anything other than a movie to enjoy -- there's not a lot of deep thinking to be done on this one (there probably is some).

None of the performances really stood out, every actor did their thing well (not that a lot was required of any of them). I do feel bad for poor Ray Park, guy must feel like he's stuck in the pre-Jazz Singer era (not the Neil Diamond one). Can I just say how nice it was to see Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje in a role where he could crack a joke and smile a little?

Only one quibble, if it's an international team, why does it have a moniker denoting American troops?

0 comments: