Monday, January 04, 2010

Changing of the Guard

Several things I wanted to try to talk about today, but all my efforts along those lines were derailed by waiting for mechanics and washing machine repair people to come by (don't want to be mid-thought and interrupted, makes for posts weaker than the norm)--and then further derailed by both of them being hours late.

If only I didn't need clean clothes and a running vehicle. Silly me.

Anyway, I don't know what the rest of you thought of Part 2 of The End of Time, but I quite enjoyed it--it made up for some of the weaknesses of Pt. 1--and the self-indulgent victory lap taken by Russell T. Davies/David Tennant was justifiable, earned--and best of all, fun to watch. The first few seconds of Matt Smith's tenure were amusing as well.

I cannot fathom the hate that Mr. Smith has already engendered. Mind-boggling, really. Particularly from people like my co-worker, who is proud to not have watched an entire Tom Baker episode--and has watched less of the other pre-Eccleston Doctors than of him. Yet, based on watching each episode of Davies' run (some even twice), she has pronounced Smith unfit to helm the TARDIS. And there are many, many like her.

Frankly, I'm not sure--why am I not sure? Haven't seen much of him, practically nothing. A few seconds at the end of an episode aired within the last week (far after many people had judged him a mistake). That's all--who knows what TPTB have in mind for this personality, this regeneration, this actor. And given that one of those powers is Steven Moffat, and other powers include a network that's been dealing with this character since the 60's...just don't get why everyone's prejudged him so harshly.

Anyhow, BBCAmerica launched a trailer for this Spring's upcoming episodes...still can't tell much about him. But looking forward to meeting this guy--and seeing Karen Gillan move from a one-episode character to a companion (worked out pretty well for Freema Agyeman).



...can't say I'm looking forward to the Weeping Angels from "Blink" coming back all that much, had finally got the nightmares to stop. But hey, if Sally Sparrow gets to come along for the ride, it could be worth it.

But just so I can remain relevant to the hate-fest surrounding this upcoming season, I should note that I'm not crazy about the new logo. Seriously. Not my cup of tea at all. Down with the New Logo!!!

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest.

(you know what's really funny? I'd initially titled this post "In Lieu of Actual Content" and planned on whining a bit in the first paragraph and then embedding the preview, but once I got started, guess I was able to find the time today to write something)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Most of the problem is in that few seconds he came across as trying to act like David Tennant. It kind of looks like he is trying to recreate Tennant's doctor instead of bringing something new in.

My wife is upset because she loves David Tennant, so nobody else will be as good no matter what.

That being said Moffat is brilliant, so we have hope.

Lockheed said...

We'll be there between 9 and 4...