Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid

I've been watching (read: obsessing over) the BBC's Wire in the Blood over the last couple of weeks, and but haven't been terribly inclined to read the source material -- which is more than a little odd for me, I normally have to immerse myself in that kind of thing. Something about the stories and the way they were being told kept me from it. On the whole, I'm not a big serial killer fiction kind of guy--I'll dip into that type of thing occasionally, but generally if it's from an author I follow (I'm a little more inclined to handle the subject on TV than I am in movies or in print, but even then...)It was an aside in a blog entry by Lee Goldberg, contrasting TV series adapted directly from books vs. those based on the character/franchise that gave me the necessary push. I thought I knew what he was getting at, but wanted to see it in practice.

The Mermaids Singing is the first installment in the novel series (which was also the first story adapted for TV), the setup is essentially this: Detective Chief Inspector Carol Jordan and her the Assistant Chief (who's name I can't recall atm because the book's already back at the library) are convinced that a series of murders are the work of a serial killer, despite the outright (and seemingly blind) hostility Jordan's immediate supervisor has to the idea. The Asst. Chief recruits a local psychologist, Dr. Tony Hill, to work out a profile of the killer--luckily, he's heading up a nationwide task force to profile killers of this sort in an effort to help the police. Jordan's assigned to liaise between Hill and the investigation. As they work together, the two recognize kindred spirits and a shared idea for how a profiler can best assist the police in their investigations (both for this case and others), and a friendship--and partnership--develops between the two.

McDermid's point of view keeps jumping from character to character -- primarily between Hill and Jordan, with a handful of supporting characters getting their moment in the sun -- with journal entries from the killer in between chapters. Normally I'm not crazy about this technique, but on the whole, I thought it worked here -- particularly as a way of focusing on the two methods of tracking the killer: the police procedure (seen through Jordan's eyes) and the psychological profile (Hill's). Hopefully as the series progresses we lose the voice of the killer, while we see Jordan's and Hill's voices become stronger.

The killer's work is highly sexual in nature, but not even the densest copper needs Hill to tell him that. McDermid makes a lot of hay along these lines -- almost, but not quite, going overboard. Not just with the killer's sexual problems, but with one of her protagonists as well. The thematic link here worked well, but I hope that's not something that's dwelled upon in future installments.

It's not an equal partnership, by any means, Jordan's in the driver's seat, and she's not too intimidated or outclassed by Hill's expertise. I think a little of that is lost in the TV series, where it almost seems that the detectives are but means for Hill to gather information that they are clueless when it comes to interpreting. In fact, it's solid police work that saves the day--police work guided by the profile, no doubt, but police work nonetheless.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, I think I see what Goldberg was talking about: as an adaptation, the TV show captured the essence of the core of characters, and did a fantastic job of bringing 85+% of the novel to screen. The changes in plot were small, and the one new character introduced helped the adaptation into a better set up to an ongoing series than the novel did. That character also toned down the least appealing feature of Hill's character, making him palatable to TV.

As a novel, it worked well (even without reference to the TV series), the relationship with Hill and Jordan will easily lead to further cases together, and character development. McDermid's style, and the cleverness of her plot, definitely create a desire to see further adventures with the pair, and it's easy to see why this is a series that's lasted over a decade.

0 comments: