Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Road Not Taken

So my parents gave us a book today called 501 Must-See Movies, a coffee-table book with nice color photo stills from the various movies and a few paragraphs explaining each film's inclusion on this list. Some of the films they included surprised me, some not included did, too--but on the whole, the list makes sense.

I've seen 136 of them, so I've apparently been wasting a lot of my movie-viewing life. I toyed briefly with the idea of turning this list into a project for 2010--viewing and blogging my way through the entire list (alphabetically or by category) in a year like say, Julie Powell's project.

And then I did the math. 9.6 of these a week--which would involve a lot of time and an upgrade to my Netflix account. Well, maybe a 2 year project...still not that appetizing a number. Especially when you take into account the fact that roughly 70 of these flicks aren't on my "have seen" list because I have no desire to see them based on subject/director/stars/something else.

Feel free to breathe a collective sigh of relief that you don't have to read my musings on 8 1/2, Halloween, Hua yang nian hua, 28 Days Later and 497 others over the course of the next few months.

0 comments: