Monday, December 14, 2009

Another Beloved Memory Gone...

This isn't a major thing, I grant you, but since when do I focus on major things here?

This weekend, I opened a new pack of Big Red and was shocked by what I saw, rather, what I didn't see.

Foil.

There was no foil protecting the little pieces of cinnamony goodness from contact with the air, each other, the silly cardboard packaging. Instead, there was this flimsy white paper, barely stiffer than tissue paper. Sacrilege!

All my life this little bit of foil has been a constant. It made Wrigley's best product stand out from the rest. It looked snazzy. It created that really strange sensation when you chewed it using teeth with fillings.

I'll pause a moment for you to cringe.

And now it's gone. Why? I've looked all over, can't find an explanation. I'm sure it has something to do with costs, or the environment, or medication helping too many paranoiacs dropping the need for sources of foil for their hats.

2 comments:

Lockheed said...

supposedly my uncle had something to do with the silver wrappers... he invented the machine or something.

Hobster said...

sweet!