Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

I'm going to try really hard not to over-hype this book, so I have to be brief here. Read this novel.

I haven't blogged about books much lately for some reason--I have about a dozen drafts about various books started, tho. But I'm going to see this one through to the end (yet another reason to keep it short).

This is one of my Top 5 of the year. No question about it. A gripping mixture of "real world" and "fantasy"--without being an "urban fantasy." This is Harry Potter + C. S. Lewis tossed in a blender operated by Michael Chabon or Jonathan Lethem. I think knowing too much about the plot beforehand would hurt the experience, so in brief, it's about a high schooler named Quentin who's accepted into a small private college version of Hogwarts in New York and then follows Quentin and his friends/classmates through school and into adulthood.

The world created here is fully formed, and fully capable of being the setting for a series of novels. The characters are well-drawn, brilliant and tragic--most of whom could carry a novel by themselves. In real life, I don't think I'd want to call any of them friends, but am sure I'd love knowing them. The plot isn't perfect, and there are many, many places in which I wished things had gone differently, but I can't say that Grossman erred in going where he did with his creation (I just would have preferred it--I feel like Fred Savage's character at the end of The Princess Bride complaining about the ending).

0 comments: