Friday, February 13, 2009

One of My Best Days - Semi-Repost

I tried to come up with a new post in commemoration of the day, but honestly, couldn't come up with much else to say, so tagged on a new rambling intro, did a mild edit and here ya go.

A couple of days ago, an old college friend mentioned his wife's birthday in his Facebook status. It made me remember--for the first time in years--the four of us going to dinner in celebration of her birthday, and there was some sort of movie night at my friend's apartment afterwards. Neither the movies or the crowd were really my thing, and TLomL was thinking the same thing (or was just going along with my quirks as she was so willing to do then [still a lot more indulgent regarding them than she could be, I should add]). So we politely excused ourselves and took a walk around campus before I drove her home. I can't tell you what it was then, but something happened that night that made me know I was going to propose soon. She was the right woman for me ("At that moment I knew, I knew the way you know about a good melon.")

Later that night my former roomate, then neighbor, future best man and I were talking, and I basically was looking for him to talk me out of it--this was a frequent strategy of mine, it usually worked. If he couldn't talk me out of something, I was on the right track. He didn't even bother to try. After I'd laid out my case, he just laughed and said, "It's about time you decided this, I've known for weeks she was perfect for you."

So much for that idea. Fast-forward three days:

Remember that scene in City Slickers where Mitch, Phil, and Ed are riding along talking about their Best Days? You ever played that? Had a lot of insomnia lately, and have been doing that while staring at the ceiling. Come up with a list of nominees, not sure which is #1. This is the 13th Anniversary of a strong contender for the title.

I've given abbreviated versions of the tale before (here and here). But a little more detail tonight, because I've been thinking about it a lot and have some time to kill. That afternoon I'd been in the dorm computer lab typing out a draft letter to the father of the girl I was courting, asking for her hand. Unbeknownst to me, she came up behind me to surprise me--and surprise me she did! I hadn't been in the workplace much with computers, so my Alt-Tab skills were non-existent, and it took me roughly an eon to get Word minimized. We chatted briefly and the whole time I was thinking, "How much did she read? Of course she read the whole thing. So much for surprise. What is she thinking? What do I do now?" Later she told me she hadn't seen a thing, but in the end, I'm glad I didn't know that ('tho at the time it would've been golden to know).

That train of thought didn't leave me for a couple of hours, I finally give up. Toss out my timeline, borrow a phone card from someone, and after a call to information, have one of the scariest phone conversations of my life with her father. Having secured his approval, I headed up to her place. I remember being very nervous, which sorta goes without saying, I guess. I was pretty confident I'd get a yes, but it was the act of asking that made me worry the most. That, and what it all meant--the weight of the future. But what I would get out of the act--the hand, the love of the woman of my dreams, made it worth it. And the future? Eh, I'd go into it with one of my best friends with me (it wouldn't take long before I dropped the "one of" modifier).

She was sitting on a couch against the wall facing the TV, I was sitting a few feet away on the loveseat-type thing that was the "L" leg off of the other. Wasn't exactly the typical-Hollywood on bended knee type situation, but I figured it was now or never, and set to mustering up confidence, wit, nerves, and everything else. Jeopardy was over, and I asked her if she was doing anything for the next 60-70 years, 'cuz if not, I was hoping she'd marry me. She thankfully said yes, and I honestly don't think I'd known what joy was before that moment.

And then we kissed for the first time. And she played me what I always think of as our song, Alanis' "Head Over Feet"--still think of that moment every time I hear that song. And the rest of the evening was taken up with my all-time favorite activity. Spending time together.

There ya go, one of my Best Days.

Again, that was 13 years ago. Making 47-57 years left. I should've asked for more, 'cuz that's nowhere near enough time to spend with her. The thirteen years since haven't been a bed of roses for sure, been far more lean and bad times then I'd ever wanted. But I've been in the best company possible.

Thanks for saying yes, dear.

Stumbled on to this old scan the other day. This is actually the following Saturday, but it's as close to the day as I have. Not the most flattering pic of me--I'd shaved that day, because she was curious what I looked like sans beard. Think it took 5 seconds for her to tell me to grow it back :) If it weren't for Steinbrenner-esque standards at the McDonald's I worked at, this would've been the last time I'd ever shaved it.

But man...look at her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, oh please, dear, don't post this picture again anywhere. We both look sooooo...not us.

Anonymous said...

Hobs...
Thanks so much for sharing! You are truely blessed.

tucsonmom