Monday, February 16, 2009

Probably the Strangest Post I've Typed

Not because of content, mind you...just the way it feels to type it.

Back in '95 a day before Windows 95 was released, I bought a new-fangled MS Natural Keyboard. It set me back a pretty penny, as I recall--I want to say it was $80+, but I might have only been $50+. Still, a ridiculous price for a keyboard--if it wasn't for the ergonomic shape, etc.--and it was worth every penny, saved me a lot. That's been my desktop keyboard since then. For a short time in '99, when my desktop was out of commission, I even took it to work.

But it was showing it's age, far too many food/beverage stains, keys I could no longer read, that years-out-of-date cream color...besides, it was 13 years old for cryin' out loud! So a few months ago, I started looking around for a replacement. But I was picky--it's not like I needed a new one. And I'd paid so much for the last one, and a million other excuses that seem really silly, but I couldn't bring myself to replace it. I swear, I wasn't getting sentimental about a keyboard.

'Til this weekend, when TLomL bought me a new keyboard. It's ergonomically curved, but not a split keyboard. Very nice. But it's very different. This new guy has thinner, lighter keys--more laptop like; a space bar that's a little too lightweight (and loose)--for reasons I'm sure Freud could have a hay-day with, I pound spacebars, so this is something I notice. I'm not complaining, I've just observed a few differences a lot in the few hours it's been since I plugged it into my USB port. It even has the non-QWERTY keys to navigate websites, pull up programs, control my volume and whatnot. Welcome to the late-90's, eh?

Writing for many of us is a tactile experience--which is why some still use manual typewriters, or insist on a certain type of notepad and pen, or whatever. I've typed I don't know how many stories, papers, essays, articles, sermons, lessons, emails, blogposts, website codes, and 1 novel on that old one. Sure, I've had 2 laptops, and have used other people's computers--but the overwhelming bulk of my composing had been on the desktop. Particularly when I had to think a lot about what I was writing--the feel of the keys, the way I hold my hands and whatnot, helped get me into "that place" where the words would come.

This very minor transition (in one sense) is going take a lot of getting used to. Who knows what new habits I'll pick up with this thing (maybe stop abusing spacebars).

1 comments:

Steve B said...

I totally get this. I bought one of the Micrsoft Ergos many years ago....big beefy monstrosity that it was, and grew to love it. Later in it's life I spilled a mocha in it, and despite extensive cleaning, some of the keys still stick. So I started shopping for a new one.

But for some bizarre and idiotic reason, MS decided that it needed to change the positions of the Insert, Delete, Page down keys. So where the "delete" key is supposed to be, is the Page down, etc. Utterly flumuxing. Made me hate MS a little bit more. Why change that? Every keyboard for thirty years has been built the same way.

So you change it just because?
Sounds rather obamaish.