Monday, February 09, 2009

Not your Typical Baseball Cards

Jane Heller, Yankee She-Fan extraordinaire, had a great column in the New York Times this weekend--funny, displaying Yankeephilia I cannot yet touch, and offers nothing but hope for the fans.

With only two weeks to go until spring training, I was not about to wait for the conventional prognosticators to weigh in. I wanted answers. Fast. So I had a tarot card reading with Patricia Diorio, a spiritual coach who has a television show in California.

"I’m not a fortune teller," she said when I called for an appointment. She also admitted that she did not follow baseball and had never heard of Derek Jeter. "But I will tell you, based on the cards you pick, what I expect to occur."

Go ahead. Laugh. Dismiss tarot cards as a mere superstition. But I am a baseball fan. Superstition is my middle name. I have my lucky "Property of New York Yankees" T-shirt that is ripped and faded and belongs in the trash. I have my lucky black Yankees cap that my friend Judith bought for me, the one with the rhinestone-studded NY. I even have my lucky turkey burgers that my husband throws on the grill for dinner whenever I’m panicking during a game, which is always. Who am I to rule out anything?

0 comments: